We Can Tile Any Tile to Any Surface
The only limit is your imagination. Oh, and whether the surface you want tiling to has been prepared properly.
Tiling Weight Per Square Meter
Tiles are heavy, and when you consider the factor of the weight of tiles including tile adhesive and grout, each square meter of total tiling can carry weights from between 10kg to 50kg +. On floors that isn’t much of a problem, but on walls that then becomes a factor in the structure of the wall.
Do Not Plaster Walls for Tiling – Plasterboard Alone is Stronger
What often surprises homeowners is the fact that when stud walls are created (plasterboard over a wooden frame) you actually lower the amount of weight per square meter when you then plaster over the plasterboard, rather than leaving the plasterboard as is, and tiling directly to it.
The layer of plaster that is added doesn’t bond the plasterboard together or strengthen it, but actually adds a weaker layer to the wall which then means you can only tile to a total (including the weight of the dried tile adhesive and grout) of around 20kg per square meter, when plasterboard alone can be tiled to a total of around 32kg per square meter.
Plaster and Cement Do Not Mix – Acrylic Primer is Required
When cement is applied to plaster there is a microscopic molecular happening that causes the debonding of the two materials.
This is seen with the naked eye as tiles debonding from plastered walls in kitchens and bathrooms.
The DIY arena is littered with homeowners assuming as the tiles they’ve fitted to walls are flat and square and true, they’ve done a good job. Often they have, but a lot of the time they’ve used products that don’t mix – and education and literature around this can’t be found in DIY sheds. They wouldn’t want to put you off buying all the products, and certainly don’t want to prolong the life of your bathroom meaning you might not be coming back as often to re-tile.
is of the highest quality and everything is done with precision to achieve perfection!
Very happy customer.
you laid in our new garden room. I am delighted with the floor, it is
perfectly level and the finish has surpassed my expectations.
- Tiler County Durham
- About David Howe Tiling
- David Howe Tiling Common Services Provided
- Bathroom Wall and Floor Tiling
- Creating and Tiling to Wetrooms & Shower-rooms, including installing tile-backer boards and fully tanking (waterproofing) floors and walls
- Kitchen Wall and Floor Tiling (including splashback / cooker hood)
- Conservatory Floor Tiling (including installing electric underfloor heating and UFH insulation boards)
- Tiling Chimney Opening and / or Chimney Breast (popular with log burners installed, heat-resistant tiles and adhesive may be required – more information)
- Large Format Tile Installation (heavy tiles require adequate preparation before being installed on walls – more information)
- Stone, Marble, Ceramic, Porcelain and all other tile types installed (heavy tiles require adequate preparation before being installed on walls – more information)
- Geometric / Georgian / Edwardian Floor Tiling (including encaustic tiling) providing the floor preparation is included to ensure flat substrate NB: In some instances we may employ extra help from fellow tilers who specialise in this – more information
- Regular Area’s We Provide Tiling Services in
- David Howe Tiling Reviews and Testimonials
- Examples of Wall and Floor Tiling by David Howe Tiling; previous tiling work
- Contact David Howe Tiling
- Our Tiling Blog including Tile Industry News and Press Releases
- External Resources including Tiling Websites that are friends of ours